16. 16

Matrix Binomials t2

Extracts from this document...

IBO Internal Assessment

Mathematics SL Type 1

Matrix Binomials

Pilar Dell’Oro -003

February 2008

This assignment of my portfolio is to allow me to deal with matrix binomials and to investigate them through finding a series of statements.

Through my knowledge of algebra, matrices and sequences I will try to investigate these affirmations to find any relationships or patterns.

Through the use of both my TI 83 scientific calculator and the math type program.

Matrix comes from a Latin word that means womb; and so where something is formed and produced. A matrix is a rectangular arrangement of numbers.[1]

The term "matrix" was thought up by some very famous mathematicians such as J. J. Sylvester. Cayley, Hamilton, Grassmann, Frobenius and von Neumann who helped with the development of matrices in 1848.

Since their first appearances long ago in ancient China (650 BC), they have remained very important mathematical tools. They are used for general arithmetic, in quantum mechanics, engineering, dance routines and many other areas which are surely unexpected.

Knowing the values of image80.png andimage81.png, I can then go on to calculate image107.png andimage03.png.

In order to facilitate all my workings out, I will do this on my graphical display calculator.

...read more.

Therefore, knowing and, we can now find.

Assuming image99.png

We can take as an example:

Let’s check our general statement for with the following example.

Letting and image102.pngwhen image103.pngare constants: By different values of these constants we can find the following:image104.png.

With this I am going to change the constants of image14.pngcouple times to calculate the other components necessary. With the use of my gdc.

Constant -10

Constant 5

Constant 18

We substitute powers instead of numbers.

...read more.

• Matrices can be used to encrypt and decrypt codes; that believe it or not are still in use. Have you ever noticed in hotels when they give you a safe in your closet? Well, if you ever happen to forget the code you put into it, they bring a machine up to your room that functions upon matrices and they decrypt your code.
  • They are used in fields such as plumbing, engineering and traffic issues because they can be used to display networks allowing calculations to be worked out easily.
  • When realizing you can solve simultaneous equations by matrices, didn’t you feel a sudden relief?
  • They are used in graphics, and in areas such as cartoon animation and computer/video games such as Nintendo and Wii.  

Matrices are used overall in math and science but they surely do find a way to save people from a lot of calculations and saves them time.

[1] Brown, William A. (1991), Matrices and vector spaces, New York: M. Dekker, chapter  1.1

...read more.

This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our International Baccalaureate Maths section.

Found what you're looking for?

• Start learning 29% faster today
  • 150,000+ documents available
  • Just £6.99 a month

Not the one? Search for your essay title...
  • Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

See related essaysSee related essays

Related International Baccalaureate Maths essays

1. Extended Essay- Math

L& }�s����7K6È�;���-��,� \'��w@^�'��-wR�(c)�GWn1/4$^@$PH@'�>Ò�0"��U`���...X&�$]H K4��"�BH�a�...�'hx ��L@'�3�b~b�z "Xd�2y�,� C@g3/43G��1/4>�KD��?�����5$@]�)R�Z�&� ���8bU��� O@'1� �":\�m"&� ψW' �BR�V8��" ...E �]~� ��% �BOa0��L*�x��6�t��� H ��.$Ek���Õ`R! ��X��$@- IC� ���<V�| 0��H ��.$Es`��;��'�"�"�$@- ���f���H�'K���$@t���x'8�["�,' \��.1/4���ıP�jF�ß�r��- �(tm) �b���E�3Gd��W��...�' Ð��D��5��9r R`(tm)H`fz'QQ�xn�����gF�OI�dz'�......���...+#�L� �(tm) "��#�NG�Q��1/4����W�S���Z��x"B���ÎH@�浦���ZZZZ[[%���۶m�Ν;w�ڥ(49�I��D� &�.�I�"*j��E���...^X�~1/2<��"w?��S�_}WW��Ååª[����l��BØH1�<���v��"���kM1a��XL� �o�3/4}���.��[!��y "S�1/4u�����|>13/4H��!0/IQWWw��7�}�����h�����R"����'Y"-cs �|��'ܶR�Ø�kH�@`^'â¡-z��-�v��wÞ{�r9��(aEY�- �-\Y�B�(tm)c"'��{.��[�4�(r)�$�9�-���1/2^�w���3��1/4c�Æ���7�[�l'�@R@pH�j� �4�Ï��G�Xay�� ��.�V-�. ���|%���Gss�k�%����0*���"y��2�5�B�V�T�Ø��k /T4O�* T-�1/4�>n��vXO�:u�3/4��"�q�=��ر�cÕªU�[a��\~0�N�� W��M�"6 �a(tm)H`:��% ��@ 1/2����x<�H' "[...�Û��(r)���3/4��]�e�!XU �s�L��-�"]Þ�A ҿ�jI�S]��N��u �i"?���y��- �"@O1�Ý���År#����5�ZAj�bOH`Jz'<\�cM����JK6P�9��J�'��$..."�V��"�&

2. Stellar Numbers. In this task geometric shapes which lead to special numbers ...

is: pSn = n2+ n + 1 Another extra statement that can be formulated relates to the 'side' equations found out. Polygon pSn Side Equation 1 3Sn 2 12Sn 12Sn = 12Sn-1 + 12n 3 8Sn 8Sn = 8Sn-1 + 8n 4 5Sn 5Sn = 5Sn-1 + 5n 5 6Sn

1. Math Portfolio - SL type 1 - matrix binomials

There was a similar pattern in Y matrix as well. Everything was similar but in this case, there were two negative signs; however, these two negative signs did not change their position but remained in the same position throughout. The following expressions, Xn and Yn, were found by finding patterns when X and Y were powered.

2. Modelling Probabilities in Games of Tennis

Another observation we must make before writing out the different combinations is that, in order for the game to end, the last point must be scored by the winner. If the last point is not scored by the winning player, then the game goes on until either one wins.

1. Matrix Binomials IA

Let a = 2 and b = -2 A = aX B = bY A = 2X = 2= B = -2Y = -2= A2 = = B2 = = A3 = = B3 = = A4 = = B4 = = Note: A GCD calculator (TI 83)

2. Math IA - Matrix Binomials

We can find an expression for Yn in a similar fashion. , where Un=a specific term a=first term r=common ratio (multiplier between the entries of the geometric sequence) n=the number of the specific term (with relation to the rest of the sequence). For Yn: When n=1, 2, 3, 4, ...

1. Matrix Binomials. In this Math Internal Assessment we will be dealing with matrices.

Undefined Data type error Undefined Data type error ? Undefined Data type error Undefined Data type error -7 Undefined Does not have an inverse Undefined Does not have an inverse From the results obtained from the tests outlined above we can conclude the following: X and Y do not have inverse matrices.

2. The purpose of this investigation is to explore the various properties and concepts of ...

This code must now be broken into uniform packets or ?chunks? to be coded. It is decided that the chunks will consist of 4x1 matrices. This is as the encoding matrix is a 4x4 and to be multipliable by each packet, the number of columns of matrix A must equal the number of rows of matrix B by definition.

• Over 160,000 pieces
    of student written work
  • Annotated by
    experienced teachers
  • Ideas and feedback to
    improve your own work