- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
Commentary on Bad Blood by Lorna Sage
This passage by Lorna Sage starts with an effective opening, as the first sentence 'So the playground was hell' grabs the reader's attention instantly and leads one directly into the tone and mood that the passage carries. The immediate and drastic image of the playground being referred to as hell is rather ironic and contradictory since a playground commonly is seen as something innocent and playful. We can therefore already from the beginning suspect a fairly gloomy and miserable text. This feeling is ensured even more by the diction that follows; "Chinese burns, pinches, slaps and kicks" and "face-pulling, hair-pulling, pinching, scratching" which accordingly are not pleasant thus backing up the miserable feeling.
The passage tells us about an anxious little girl who goes to school for the first time. This experience of childhood and initiation in school life is described as something horrible and negative; "The playground was hell", "Small people's purgatory" and "the sheer ineptitude". The diction with words such as purgatory (a place for suffering) and ineptitude (uselessness/to not fit in) enhances this negative mood. Sage speaks a lot about not fitting in and she describes the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Misc (view all)
- Relatinshipe between father and son in things fall apart
- Comparing and Contrasting Envy and Deception in Shakespeares...
- Sample Personal Statement
- How do the pigs on animal farm abuse language?
- Case Study of the 1925 Tri State Tornado
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.