- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
PRACTICAL INVESTIGATION: THE SIMPLE PENDULUM
The aim is to investigate the factors which affect the period of oscillation of a simple pendulum.
Over 400 years ago, Galileo came up with the theory that the period of a pendulum depends only on the length of the pendulum. A simple pendulum consists of a weight hanging off a string. When the bob is stationary, the two forces acting upon the bob - the tension of the string and gravity - equalise and gives the bob an overall force of 0N. However, when the bob is in motion, the forces are unbalanced and the bob swings back and forth. If the amplitude of the string is increased, the weight will swing back and forth at a regular period. However, if the amplitude of the swing is increased too much, this may cause the weight to bounce and the period of a pendulum may be void. The period of a pendulum is the time for one complete swing. The equation for the period of a pendulum is
where 'L' is the length of the pendulum, 'g' is the acceleration due to
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Physics (view all)
- Investigating the factors related to the crater formed by a ...
- HL Physics Revision Notes
- Strength of Magnetic Field
- strength of an uncooked spaghetti
- This is a practical to investigate the relationship between ...
- Investigating maximum braking conditions in a bicycle
- Researching water turbine designs.
- How does the sinkage depth of a tyre affect its rolling resi...
- Plan to investigate the change in volume of air in a party b...
- Experiment to compare the radiation of heat from different o...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.