- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Gender and Cultural Differences in Depression
The first 200 words of this essay...
* DISCUSS GENDER AND CULTURAL DIFFERENCES REGARDING A DYSFUNCTIONAL BEHAVIOR OF YOUR CHOICE.
Depression is classified to be persistent low mood for at least two weeks, plus at least five of the following symptoms must be present. These include hypersomnia or insomnia, overeating and weight gain or loss of appetite and decrease in weight, agitation or slowing in movement, daily fatigue, feelings of worthlessness or guilt, inability to think or concentrate, loss of interest in activities that were once enjoyed and recurrent thoughts of death or suicide. The rates that people suffer from depression vary tremendously between the two sexes and from culture to culture, though.
Women are more likely to suffer from depression and more specifically the number of women suffering from depression is noted to be 2-3 times higher than the number of men. One out of four women is experiencing or at least has experienced clinical depression. The risk factors can be divided into separate categories. To begin with, hormonal fluctuations associated with the menstrual cycle, menopause, or the uses of oral contraceptives are very usual for most women and can be main causes for depression. Similarly, most women who have experienced infertility
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Psychology (view all)
- Attachment Theory
- Outline principles that define the biological level of analy...
- Discuss the use of technology in investigating cognitive pro...
- Evaluation of Social Learning Theory
- Where does Schizophrenia Lie in the Spectrum of Nature vs Nu...
- Discuss how ethical considerations would be addressed before...
- Using one relevant research study, show how a principle tha...
- To what extent does genetic inheritance influence behaviour?...
- Cultural Barriers in Multicultural Psychotherapy -A.W.
- Adrenaline, Oxytocin or Melatonin, which is the most powerfu...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.