- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Outline how one study demonstrates principles of the cognitive level of analysis. Bartlett investigated the role of culture in schema processing in his classic study The War of the Ghosts in 1932.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Outline how one study demonstrates principles of the cognitive level of analysis. (The command term "outline" requires you to "Give a brief account or summary.")
The mind can be conceptualized as a set of mental processes that are carried out by the brain. Cognition is a concept referred to any cognitive processes like memory, perception and attention. One of the fundamental principles that define the Cognitive Level of Analysis (CLOA) is that cognitive processes are influenced by social and cultural factors. And "one of the first to say this was the British psychologist Fredric Bartlett, who coined the term schema, which is defined as a mental representation of knowledge." Bartlett investigated the role of culture in schema processing in his classic study "The War of the Ghosts" in 1932.
The aim of his experiment was to see if the culture of the participants had any influence on schema processing and the effect of schema on participants recall of a story. And in order to find out, he came with a Native American legend and asked the participants to read through the story twice. None of the participants knew the purpose of the experiment.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Psychology (view all)
- Explain the functions of two hormones on human behavior. Ox...
- Evaluation of Social Learning Theory
- Outline principles that define the biological level of analy...
- Understanding Childrens Behaviour. The purpose of this writ...
- Psychology Essay To what extent does localisation and plast...
- Discuss how ethical considerations would be addressed before...
- Using one relevant research study, show how a principle tha...
- To what extent does genetic inheritance influence behaviour?...
- Cultural Barriers in Multicultural Psychotherapy -A.W.
- Adrenaline, Oxytocin or Melatonin, which is the most powerfu...
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.