- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The behavioural approach is the assumption that behaviour is learned. Experience and interactions with the environment make us what we are. This perspective has been called environment determinism because it suggests that we are determined by the environm
The first 200 words of this essay...
The behavioural approach is the assumption that behaviour is learned. Experience and interactions with the environment make us what we are. This perspective has been called environment determinism because it suggests that we are determined by the environments in which we exist.
The main features of behaviourist theory
The second assumption is that all behaviour can be explained in terms of conditioning theory. Conditioning refers to changing behaviour in the absorbable behaviour.
The third main assumption is that we need to look no further than the behaviours we can observe in order to understand and explain how humans and non-humans animals operate. It is sufficient to be concerned only with external and observable behaviour.
A further assumption of the behaviour approach is that humans and non- human animals are only qualitatively different. This is supported by the theory of evolution which suggests that all animals have evolved from common ancestors and are built from the same unit. Much behaviorist research is conducted with non-human animals. It is important to recognize the contrasting perspectives within behaviourism;
* Methodological behaviourism; the view that all perspectives use some behaviourist concepts to explain behaviour. This is
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Psychology (view all)
- Where does Schizophrenia Lie in the Spectrum of Nature vs Nu...
- Explain the functions of two hormones on human behavior. Ox...
- Factors Influencing Conformity
- Attachment Theory
- Outline how one study demonstrates principles of the cogniti...
- Discuss how ethical considerations would be addressed before...
- Using one relevant research study, show how a principle tha...
- To what extent does genetic inheritance influence behaviour?...
- Cultural Barriers in Multicultural Psychotherapy -A.W.
- Adrenaline, Oxytocin or Melatonin, which is the most powerfu...
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.