- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Science has both similarities and differences in the way it approaches knowledge as compared to other areas of knowledge
The first 200 words of this essay...
TOK Science Essay
Science is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe. In an older and closely related meaning, "science" refers to the body of reliable knowledge itself, of the type that can be logically and rationally explained. Also, science is more similar to knowledge as an area of knowledge than the others, because it is actually based on observing and criticizing certain aspects of the environment and how things work around us. Through science we can gain knowledge of certain phenomena and characteristics of the world, and therefore apply this knowledge to make our life easier by progressing as technology evolves.
Science could also be compared with mathematics, since mathematics is also an area of knowledge. Mathematics is essential to the sciences. One important function of mathematics in science is the role it plays in the expression of scientific models. Observing and collecting measurements, as well as hypothesizing and predicting, often require extensive use of mathematics. Arithmetic, algebra, geometry, trigonometry and calculus, for example, are all essential to physics.
Moreover, science could be compared to ethics/religion. As stated before, science is
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Theory of Knowledge (view all)
- TOK essay: The vocabulary we have does more than communicate...
- Is conscience a more powerful motivator than money, fame or ...
- The possession of knowledge carries an ethical responsibilit...
- The vocabulary we have does more than communicate our knowle...
- That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.