- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
Evaluate strengths and weaknesses of reasoning as a way of knowing
How do we know? That is the main TOK question, how do we know? Well we know through our experience, senses, knowledge, and reasoning etc. What is reasoning? For me it's a claim, which supports essential processes, interactions, relationship; as well we base our reasoning on some knowledge in order to find some truth. However, reasoning as knowledge can be objective and subjective. On the picture on the left you see an apple; it is a usual apple, grown up somewhere in America. For a 3 year old child, it's just a red apple with a nice smell. Apple has these traits and without child or person trying it, therefore this knowledge is objective, it exists without any other influence. But when kid is eating it, an apple becomes tasty, or bitter, in other words it becomes a subjective knowledge. I.e. the girl on the picture is eating an apple; she is excited and happy, the apple is tasty for her, she just experienced that, it's subjective. Therefore, reasoning might be defined as, just an objective knowledge existing without any external effects and as knowledge based on our
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Theory of Knowledge (view all)
- TOK Speech on Art
- How can the different ways of knowing help us to distinguish...
- The main idea of art is to produce a faithful copy, in this ...
- Discuss the roles of language and reason in history
- Matrix Essay- would you take the red or blue pill? TOK - 90%
- Deconstructive Essay - Creationism Should not be Taught in S...
- To what extent do scientists rely on either confirming or fa...
- That which is accepted as knowledge today is sometimes disca...
- Knowledge gives us a sense of who we are. To what extent is ...
- What is it about theories in human sciences and natural scie...
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.