- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
TOK: Emotion as a Filter to Knowledge
The first 200 words of this essay...
Chapter 6: EMOTION
The Nature of Emotions:
The word 'emotion' is derived from the Latin word movere meaning 'to move'. In general sense it includes feelings, passions, and moods etc. An emotion usually consists of various internal feelings and external forms of behavior, and it can vary in intensity from mild irritation to blind anger. Passion is reserved for a strong emotion where mood is an emotion which continues for a period of time.
* Primary Emotions:
The six basic or primary emotions are: happiness, sadness, fear, anger, surprise,
And disgust. Important to remember is that even children who are born blind and deaf show these emotions and therefore this suggests that they are inborn rather than learnt.
* The James Lange Theory:
There exists a close relationship between our bodies and our emotions as the primary emotions
have a typical facial expression associated with them. According to James Lange theory, the emotions are physical in nature, and bodily changes cause emotional changes as they come before them as well.
If you remove the physical symptoms, the corresponding emotion disappears. And similarly,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Theory of Knowledge (view all)
- TOK essay: The vocabulary we have does more than communicate...
- Is conscience a more powerful motivator than money, fame or ...
- The possession of knowledge carries an ethical responsibilit...
- The vocabulary we have does more than communicate our knowle...
- That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.