- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
TOK speech - Does experience with mathematics influence perception of beauty?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Show video: (1:45 - 4:10) http://www.ted.com/talks/michael_pawlyn_using_nature_s_genius_in_architecture.html
V: So, using mathematics to describe and better understand our perception of beauty in nature is not only an interesting endeavour, but one that can help us create beautiful and sustainable designs based on nature. Imagine a solar panel having the same design as the arrangement of leaves in a Fibonacci sequence. Not only would that be visually awesome, it could provide an answer to using solar panels as a main source of energy. Mathematics and nature is all around us, so putting them together in design would make something incredible.
A: Although we have discussed at length about mathematics, and how it is beautiful, our high school education does not teach actual mathematics. Our learning consists of arithmetic and computational math. So what right do we have to talk about mathematics and its beauty?
Does experience with mathematics influence perception of beauty?
Show picture of nature and picture of mathematical formula
Ask class which is beautiful, and which is easier to perceive as beautiful.
V: There is much beauty in nature, and we can all recognize it without any mathematical training. Mathematical beauty, however, may only be
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Theory of Knowledge (view all)
- TOK essay: The vocabulary we have does more than communicate...
- The vocabulary we have does more than communicate our knowle...
- That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed...
- The possession of knowledge carries an ethical responsibilit...
- Knowledge is generated through the interaction of critical a...
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.