- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
A Pastiche Revealing Uraras Loss and Her Recovery from Her Grief
The first 200 words of this essay...
A Pastiche Revealing Urara's Loss and Her Recovery from Her Grief
Word Count: 1, 462
Statement of Intent
In the Japanese novel Kitchen, Banana Yoshimoto suggests through the accounts of Mikage and Satsuki that companionship and maintaining hope are essential to helping one recover from a loss and that one must eventually move on from one's grief. I will focus on this theme in my passage written from Urara's point of view when she is at the bridge with Satsuki for the Weaver Festival Phenomenon. I chose to write from Urara's point of view because it is illuminating to reveal Urara's own grieving process to explain her empathy with Satsuki's emotional state and how she arrives at the insights she shares with Satsuki. In the passage, I also chose to focus on the motifs of cold, warmth, light, and darkness. Additionally, I emulated Yoshimoto's style of using poetic metaphors to explain emotions. Finally, Yoshimoto does not heavily emphasize traditional Japanese culture, apart from the Japanese foods and names. Interestingly, she often makes references to Western culture. I therefore referenced the Great Houdini to emulate her style.
Yoshimoto uses the motifs of cold and warmth
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
World Literature (view all)
- Style and Structure of the novel The Kite Runner
- An Analysis of Wilfred Owens Futility
- Extended Essay - A Dream Deferred Both Jay Gatsby from The G...
- Critical Analysis of After Apple Picking by Robert Frost
- Commentary on Marilyn Krysl's Poem "Summer Solstice, Ba...
- Different aspects of the work Chronicles of a Death Foretold...
- How does Barker explore the impact of war in this extract fr...
- George Orwell - Shooting an Elephant. Discursive Questions.
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn portrays the corruption of the Soviet...
- Song of Solomon: How does Toni Morrison reveal flight as a w...
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student