- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Death of a Salesman. In this essay I will analyse the way in which Miller attacks this pursuit of the American Dream. In the first part, I will focus on the use of Symbolisms; in the second part I will examine the use of motifs.
The first 200 words of this essay...
The pursuit of the American dream can inspire ambition; it can transform a person and cause him to become motivated and hard-working, with high standards and morals; or, it can tear a person down, to the point of near insanity that results from the wild, hopeless chase after the dream. In this essay I will analyse the way in which Miller attacks this pursuit of the American Dream. In the first part, I will focus on the use of Symbolisms; in the second part I will examine the use of motifs.
Many symbols are incorporated in the play. The hose, tape recorder and the seeds are some of these symbols. The hose in Miller's drama directly relates to the theme of death. The hose is a line attached to the gas main in Willy's house which allows him to sniff the gas. This action can be seen as Willy's suicide wish, and escape from the realities of life. It also symbolises the death of his American dream as he loses his job and his family. The tape recorder represents the end of Willy's career. This is brought about when Howard, Willy's boss and godson, shows the tape
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
World Literature (view all)
- Style and Structure of the novel The Kite Runner
- An Analysis of Wilfred Owens Futility
- Analysis on "So Long A Letter" by Mariama Ba
- How are the plot, point of view, tone, setting, and theme of...
- The Lumber Room - Analysis and interpretation. The Lumber R...
- Different aspects of the work Chronicles of a Death Foretold...
- How does Barker explore the impact of war in this extract fr...
- George Orwell - Shooting an Elephant. Discursive Questions.
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn portrays the corruption of the Soviet...
- Song of Solomon: How does Toni Morrison reveal flight as a w...
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.