- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
family relationships in hedda
- Essay length: 6170 words
- Submitted: 07/10/2009
The first 200 words of this essay...
Compare and contrast views of the family and family relationships shown in the plays of Ibsen and Strindberg, commenting on the relative importance in each case of social and psychological pressures, as well as physical environment, and showing how these are expressed in theatrical terms.
This essay will be focusing on three texts written over a three year period: Henrik Ibsen's Hedda Gabler (1890) and August Strindberg's The Father (1887) and Miss Julie (1888)1. In approaching this topic, I have decided it best to confine my study to these three plays rather than attempt an overview of either playwright's canon. I intend to focus on the relevance of the father in these plays, specifically analysing how the role of fatherhood is explored. Furthermore, instead of trying to take into account every possible reference to 'family', I will be limiting my focus to what I regard as the three central family relationships in these plays: Miss Julie and her father; Hedda and General Gabler; and finally, the Captain and his daughter Bertha. Though other characters will obviously be relevant in this study, it is the dramatic significance of these three relationships that I will be studying closely.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
World Literature (view all)
- Poetry analyses: Wild Bees, by James K. Baxter
- The Ellen Jamesians: a hostile feminist movement
- Household Gods - Philip Hobsbaum - Commentary
- Style and Structure of the novel The Kite Runner
- An Analysis of John Updike's "Pigeon Feathers"
- Different aspects of the work Chronicles of a Death Foretold...
- How does Barker explore the impact of war in this extract fr...
- George Orwell - Shooting an Elephant. Discursive Questions.
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn portrays the corruption of the Soviet...
- Song of Solomon: How does Toni Morrison reveal flight as a w...
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.