- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Love in LA. When analyzed, the short story entitled "Love in L.A.," by Dagoberto Gilb, shows how one can see many reasons in seeing irony and even satire by the story's title.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to English Literature and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Love is a powerful force that drives one person to draw a deep affection towards another. When analyzed, the short story entitled "Love in L.A.," by Dagoberto Gilb, shows how one can see many reasons in seeing irony and even satire by the story's title. Through "Jake," the protagonist's definition of "love" is expressed in different fashions, none results in anything positive; He portrays being lazy, irresponsible, somewhat poor, and perhaps something of a scam artist, looking for his freedom. Several essences reveal the main character's true identity throughout the story: a love for image, self-conceit, and daydreaming.
Jake controls how well he behaves, using image as a grand part of his motivation. First, the author portrays Jake's worries towards the bumpers of the car before thinking of the other people involved in the accident. After finding out that there is not an 'impressionable' scratch,"he perks up". Then, while talking to Mariana, "he straightened out his less than new but not "unhip" clothes," while he is attempting to straighten out the mess with the car accident. This description of imagery on himself depicts his lack of respect for others and conceit when it came to what is
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
World Literature (view all)
- Several of the poems in the anthology convey a sense of alie...
- Lucinda Roy, in her poem Points of View refers to different ...
- Commentary on the poem " Wife Hits Moose".
- Ridjal Noor has conveyed family tension throughout Anil; by ...
- Fighting Ruben Wolfe Alternative Ending Creative Response
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.