- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Medea - Key passage
The first 200 words of this essay...
Pg. 95, 1340 - 1348
Jason You suffer too. You share my pain.
Medea I do. But being spared your mockery takes away the pain.
Jason My sons! What an evil mother you had!
Medea My boys, it was your father's sickness killed you.
Jason But not at least by my hand they died.
Medea No, it was your insult to me, and your new-won marriage.
Jason You really thought this matter of sex made it right to kill them?
Medea You think that's a small misfortune for a woman?
Jason Yes, if she's sensible. But to you it is all disaster.
"Medea" is a play composed by the playwright Euripedes. Apart from being a tragic comedy, one of its chief contradictions is that it was created during a time when the role of women was judged to be insignificant weighed against that of Greek men, yet is an eponymous play with a female protagonist. However, this was carried out so as to divulge insights on how women were regarded and thought of in ancient Greek society. Herein, Medea is the critical unification of a tragic hero, a villain
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
World Literature (view all)
- The Stranger by Albert Camus introduces a character that is ...
- In Ernest Bucklers The Bars and the Bridge, the protagonist ...
- Critical Analysis of After Apple Picking by Robert Frost
- Symbolism in Orwell's "1984".
- Discuss how good Atticus is as a father.
- Great Gatsby. Comment on the setting and the depiction of th...
- An exploration of Desdemonas transgression of social norms w...
- The passage Chills takes place in a dark, desolate field in ...
- The Werewolf (Review) from Angela Carter's "The Bloody ...
- Reflections on "Miss Julie" in a cultural context
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo