- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Merchant of Venice Summary
The first 200 words of this essay...
Merchant of Venice
In the beginning of the novel of Merchant of Venice, the story starts out with the main character Antonio, who is a merchant. He feels very sad but does not know why. He complains to his friends Solanio and Solario about his depression, but does not know how to explain it. Solanio and Salerio try to cheer him up, but it was no use. Antonio's friend, Bassanio, tells Antonio that he needed money so that he can seek the wealthy Portia's hand in marriage. Antonio then, offers Bassanio 3,000 ducats to help him out.
Currently, Portia is at Belmont, and tells her servant Nerissa that she fears a suitor she dislikes will pursue her hand in marriage. Because of her father's will, the suitor must go through a test, which is to choose the correct chest of three chests (gold, silver, and lead), and then, if correct, he may marry Portia. She doesn't like any of the six suitors that she has been offered, but wishes that Bassanio would come and choose the correct chest. Bassanio convinces the merchant Shylock the Jew to lend him 3000 ducats, with Antonio putting up his
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
World Literature (view all)
- The Stranger by Albert Camus introduces a character that is ...
- In Ernest Bucklers The Bars and the Bridge, the protagonist ...
- Symbolism in Orwell's "1984".
- Discuss how good Atticus is as a father.
- Critical Analysis of After Apple Picking by Robert Frost
- Great Gatsby. Comment on the setting and the depiction of th...
- An exploration of Desdemonas transgression of social norms w...
- The passage Chills takes place in a dark, desolate field in ...
- The Werewolf (Review) from Angela Carter's "The Bloody ...
- Reflections on "Miss Julie" in a cultural context
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.