- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Oedipus the King, Cyrano de Bergerac and Night all discuss the themes of fear, love and the limits of the free will, however, the themes are incorporated in a variety of different ways in each of these pieces, creating powerful emotions
The first 200 words of this essay...
World Literature Essay
A young boy who tries to survive the Holocaust, a king who sleeps with his mother and kills his father, and a brave man who is unable to reveal his love for a women, these are the stories that three different books tell, written by authors coming from all over Europe. These works of literature namely are "Night", "Oedipus the King" and "Cyrano de Bergerac". All three of these stories appear to be rather dissimilar since they are written and take place during time periods which lie thousands of years apart. "Oedipus the King" is a legendary story which takes place hundreds before the birth of Christ and contrasting to this play are "Cyrano de Bergerac" and "Night" which in comparison to Oedipus are new, since they have only been published in roughly the last 100 years. Not only are the time periods and the topics of these pieces of literature varied but also the types of the works are different with Oedipus and Cyrano being plays and "Night" being written as a memoir. Nonetheless, these pieces have more similarities than one at first might imagine, due to the fact they deal with identical themes
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
World Literature (view all)
- Style and Structure of the novel The Kite Runner
- Analysis of "The verger" by William Somerset Maugh...
- Symbolism in The Elephant Vanishes
- Anna Frith is constantly changing throughout the book, Year ...
- Guy Montag as a hero in Fahrenheit 451
- Great Gatsby. Comment on the setting and the depiction of th...
- An exploration of Desdemonas transgression of social norms w...
- The passage Chills takes place in a dark, desolate field in ...
- The Werewolf (Review) from Angela Carter's "The Bloody ...
- Reflections on "Miss Julie" in a cultural context
""Zoey. University Student.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.