- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
France has a wide cultural atmosphere - Here are a few of its famous landmarks.
The first 200 words of this essay...
France is widely known for its range of human geography such as the Eiffel tower or Notre Dame Cathedral. France has a wide cultural atmosphere. Here are a few of its famous landmarks
L'Arc de Triomphe
This structure was built between 1806 and 1836 to commemorate Napoleon's victories. Designed by Chalgrin, the construction was delayed through the years. In 1810 when Empress Marie-Louise arrived in Paris, a painted canvas was quickly set up, the hide the faltering project. The fall of the Empire caused the work to be stopped, and it became the laughing stock of Paris. Finally in 1836, 20 years after the death of Napoleon, Louis-Philippe inaugurated the still unfinished Arch. The original plans called for a giant star on the top of the Arch, and idea that was permanently abandoned.
The Arch is 164 feet high and 132 feet wide, with sculptured friezes, notably Rude's La Marseillaise. Each figure is over 6 feet high. The arches are inscribed with the titles of the victories, and the names of war heroes. Between the arches is the tomb of the Unknown Soldier, where the eternal flame is rekindled each night at 6:30 PM. Visitors may
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Architecture (view all)
- Explain how the organisational structure, culture and manage...
- 'Hotel Room 12th Floor' By Norman MacCaig
- Antoni Gaudi, religious fanatic and world-renowned architect...
- Construction Technology Complete Overview
- why was the roman army so sucessfull
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.