- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
'Hotel Room 12th Floor' By Norman MacCaig
The first 200 words of this essay...
"Hotel Room 12th Floor" By Norman MacCaig
"Hotel Room 12th Floor" is a thought provoking poem by the 20th century poet Norman MacCaig. The poem is about a man who watches from his twelfth floor hotel room over the city of New York at midnight, taking notes of the surrounding incidents. As he is alone the loneliness takes advantage of him and makes him feel cautious of everything.
"A helicopter skirting like a damaged insect, the Empire State Building, that jumbo sized dentists drill." This simile is very effective as the characteristics are very similar. A helicopter is similar to a damaged insect as the helicopter was flying round and round in a way, which an insect may fly when injured. The buzzing an insect makes is also similar to the sound of helicopter propellers. The size comparison between the building and the helicopter may seem like the size comparison to an insect and a human. The empire state building may be compared to a dentists drill because of its descending shape, and also because of the aerial on the top, which may represent a needle. These form an effective introduction to the main concern of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Architecture (view all)
- Swindon railway villiage coursework
- Evaluating Brasilia as a New Town
- "Little is known about Bronze Age Theran society and wh...
- How and why has Lincoln Castle changed from 1068 to the pres...
- Construction Technology
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.