- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Post-industrial Meccas and the phenomenon of urban exploration.
The first 200 words of this essay...
POST-INDUSTRIAL MECCAS AND THE PHENOMENON OF URBAN EXPLORATION: Joseph Bloor
December 31st 1997 Buffalo New York State U.S.A
The grand plans for a Paris Boulevard stretching between Buffalo Central Station and Buffalo City Hall failed, and for the last 25 years the Rail Terminal stands empty. Still as imposing as it's nearest metaphysical neighbour, Grand Central in New York City, but a ghost of what it once must have been. Merciless scrap merchants and peddlers, together with the unwanted attention lavished by the vandals of a city in the midst of an industrial and economic post mortem have stripped the decaying monolith bare. The planned street stretches two miles out from the city centre and leads to an off axis asphalt plaza in front of the station. It is not a place we should be, even within the relative safety of an automobile. The only signs of life in the empty lots are the glowing oilcans, burning trash and warming a large but invisible homeless population. The street is deserted save for the shadows of a criminal element that are etched into the bare brick walls of abandoned townhouses and failing businesses. The plaza itself has more
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Architecture (view all)
- Distinguish between bureaucratic and organic organisational ...
- Explain how the organisational structure, culture and manage...
- Bungalow design for a disabled client. Discuss the form of c...
- Parallel structure means repeating the same grammar patterns...
- Describe the professional and managerial workforce who may b...
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.