- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The architecture of Braslia
The first 200 words of this essay...
The capital of Brazil became Brasília on 21st of April 1960. It was a new city created from scratch. It was the important achievement of the populist president Juscelino Kubitschek de Oliviera, who was in office from 1957 to 1961 (Williams 2009: 95). The city represents many identities such as a frontier city, a development project, an utopian experiment in modern urbanism, a detached center of political power and an Eldorado of opportunity. Migrants come to the city mainly for economic gain. As soon as they come across the desolate plateau, the landscape changes about 40 kilometers from the capital and they are confronted with the separation of modernist Brasília from familiar Brazil. Brasília starts as 14-lane speedway roars and catapults the traveler into what is hailed as ´the New Age of Brazil´. Brasília has become the symbol of this new age. The intention was to create not only a new city, but also a new Brazilian society (Holston 1989: 3). Although the capital of Brazil was planned well and designed as a first modern city, it did not have the impact on society that was expected. This essay will analyze the architecture of Brasília, which reflects the divisions in
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Architecture (view all)
- Explain how the organisational structure, culture and manage...
- Bungalow design for a disabled client. Discuss the form of c...
- A building survey may be required mainly for checking the st...
- Kenilworth Castle: How and why did the Castle Develop Over T...
- How could materials, renewable technologies and adapted proc...
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.