- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Acquisition of Language: the Debate Between Jean Piaget and Noam Chomsky.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Cognitive Psychology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
A NEW PERSPECTIVE ON LANGUAGE ACQUISITION: IS THE DEBATE BETWEEN PIAGET AND CHOMSKY STILL HOLDS?
Rafidah Aga Mohd Jaladin
Department Of Educational Psychology & Counselling
Faculty Of Education
University Of Malaya
50603 Kuala Lumpur
In language acquisition studies, the names Jean Piaget and Noam Chomsky are not uncommon. They were known because they were the founders of language acquisition theories, which act as guidance for researchers to study language and language acquisition. Although these two theorists were the main contributors in the study of language, they had a different and contradictory viewpoint. Piaget emphasized on the role of cognitive development factors in language acquisition, whereas, Chomsky focused on the role of genetic endowment factors. This paper discusses the differences in Piaget's and Chomsky's approaches to language acquisition in an attempt to present a new perspective showing that each has a place. A special focus is given to their differences in opinions and approaches towards the study of syntax and semantics, which are the two important components of a language.
How children acquire language is one of the key mysteries facing scientific enquiry into humans. One of the reasons
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Cognitive Psychology (view all)
- Outline and Evaluate the Levels of Processing model of memor...
- A Comparison of the Cognitive and HumanisticApproaches to Ab...
- 'Outline and evaluate the working memory model' ( 18 marks)
- Selective attention and the Stroop effect: automatic process...
- The purpose of this essay is to compare and contrast the app...
- What types of memory does the hippocampal formation contribu...
- Explore the different psychological perspectives and their r...
- Interference with Memory by a Suffix. Review of literature ...
- What is classical conditioning and how is it relevant to pho...
- Describe and evaluate the Gestalt laws of perceptual organiz...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.