- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Advantages and Disadvantages of research methods.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Psychology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Advantages and Disadvantages of research methods
Laboratory experiments, the features of this research method is that the IV is usually manipulated to cause an effect on the DV, advantages of laboratory experiments is that variables can be controlled easily, the experiment is taken place in a highly controlled environment, choice of participants could be random. With laboratory experiments they can be replicated easily, they also establish a cause and effect, but the disadvantages are that they are low in ecological validity; they are set in artificial environments so therefore effected by mundane realism.
The opposing experiment is field; this is set in a natural setting, either familiar surroundings, field experiments are similar to laboratory experiments as they involve control of IV, the use of participants and surroundings, field experiments can also be replicated. Example of Field experiment Abernethy(1940) showed that students performed better if they were tested in the same room where they were taught and tested by the same person. The context same room, same teacher must have been a recall trigger.
The main advantage of laboratory experiments is that it is easier to control confounding variables; also another advantage of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Psychometrics (view all)
- Personality and Stress
- "The socio-biological theory suggests that we form rela...
- Both biological and humanistic factors have influences on on...
- In this analysis four different assessment tests are going t...
- Investigating the Matching Hypothesis
- Fundamentals of Research Methodology. This paper will cover...
- Introduction to Research. The Scientific Method. We will a...
- The relationship between extraversion and introversion arous...
- Theories of Personality. Hans Eysenck: The Factor Theory
- This study will only look at two (of many) facial characteri...
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'