- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
Name Simon Henry Opio-Emuna
Date: 29th. October 2008.
Title: The experiment to determine the effect of temperature on the activity of amylase enzyme.
The rate of reaction was found to increase as the temperature of the environment was raised. As the temperature was raised from incrementally to 4°C, 22°C, 37°C and finally 80°C the rate of reaction followed this trend and also increased. However as predicted in the hypothesis of this experiment when the temperature was raised too high the enzyme would denature. In this experiment the value which the enzyme denatured at was 80°C. To summarize, the temperature of the environment was increased the reaction rate increased until the enzyme denatured.
Amylase is an enzyme found in the human body and is an important metabolic enzyme. Its function is to catalyze the hydrolysis of starch into glucose. This particular enzyme, which is found in all mammals, speeds up specific digestive processes which take place along the digestive track running from the mouth to the small intestines. Most enzymes are specific, meaning that they only work on a particular reaction or class of reactions. Enzymes are structural proteins which
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Applied Biology (view all)
- Isolation and Purification of Egg White Proteins
- The functional part of the kidney are called the Nephrons, i...
- Lab report: food dehydration. This experiment focuses on th...
- Tumour markers and their role in Cancer diagnostics
- Optimization of DNA Extraction from Medically and Environmen...
- OBJECTIVES: To determine the fragility of the erythrocyte me...
- How do the physical properties of the ears help the brain de...
- What Limits if any should be placed on the use of the follow...
- Broccoli is often termed as a miracle food as its' health be...
- Food Science -Experiments to Determine the Properties and Us...
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.