- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Attitudes Toward Crime, Police, and the Law - Individual and Neighborhood Differences.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Attitudes Toward Crime, Police, and the Law:
Individual and Neighborhood Differences.
I like most Americans believed that crime, disorder and drug abuse was they way of life for lower income areas and cultural groups. I was very surprised by the article and the attitudes that different cultural societies had. The article focused on two studies, one that was done in New York and Philadelphia in urban neighborhoods and the other in Chicago urban neighborhoods by "The Project on Human Development in Chicago Neighborhoods." In New York and Philadelphia, they concluded that disadvantaged communities conventional values and street culture clashed. In national surveys it was shown there was no difference among social classes, races and ethnic groups in their attitudes toward violence.
"The Project on Human Development in Chicago Neighborhoods" looked at racial and ethnic differences toward social deviance, the police and the law. The studied showed that blacks and Latinos are less tolerant of deviance by teenagers then whites. In economically disadvantaged neighborhoods it showed that smoking, drinking, and fighting among youths and negative towards police and laws was tolerated.
In a new study done by "The Project on Human Development in Chicago
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Psychology (view all)
- Critically evaluate trait theories of personality.
- The bystander effect: sex differences in helping behaviour i...
- Discuss the statement that adolescence is a period of Storm ...
- The Black Box Model.
- Life coaching course essay. I present in this essay an under...
- Internet Group Suicide in Japan
- Suicide in Japan and the Internet
- Psychological Identity Theory
- In The Future of Love by Barbara Graham, she cites a variety...
- The Behavioural Activation System: lateralization of the BAS...
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.