- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Compare the structure of RNA and DNA
The first 200 words of this essay...
IB Biology SL III Ryan Martucci
Topic 2: The Chemistry of Life 2-10-03 8th period
Sub-topic: 2.6 Transcription and Translation
2.6.1 3 Compare the structure of RNA and DNA
Both RNA and DNA are nucleic acids. RNA is a polymer of a nucleotide
in the form of a single strand. The nitrogen bases occur is Adenine,
Guanine, Thymine, and Uracil. The pentose sugar is a ribose. The bonds
that connect all the molecules together are covalent bonds. The phosphate
of one nucleotide is connected to the sugar of the adjacent nucleotide. The
sequence of nitrogen bases characterizes an RNA.
Draw a strand of RNA:
RNA functions in protein synthesis. RNA is present both in the nucleus
and the cytoplasm. There are three types of RNA: Messenger RNA
(mRNA), transfer RNA (tRNA, and ribosomal RNA (rRNA. These types
will assist in protein synthesis through translation and transcription. DNA
is a polymer of nucleotides. Just like RNA, each nucleotide is made of a
phosphate group, nitrogen base, and a pentose sugar. The pentose sugar
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Genetics (view all)
- Uses of DNA profiling with PCR and Electrophoresis
- The Integration of DNA Applications in Forensic Science
- Who were the Neanderthals? Discuss the importance of genetic...
- Evolution vs. Intelligent Design
- Nucleic acid, DNA replication and Protein Synthesis
- Gene expression in Aspergillus niger exposed to the lignocel...
- Darwin and Natural Selection
- Discuss the biology of muscular dystrophy
- A Proposal to Investigate Influential Solutions to the Negat...
- The Relevance of the Human Genome Project in Biomedicine: Ge...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo