- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
- Essay length: 3136 words
- Submitted: 24/05/2009
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Cognitive Psychology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Foundations Of Cognitive Psychology
This essay will describe the contribution made to a general understanding of depth perception by an analysis of visual illusions. Firstly it is important to discuss how important depth perception is.
Depth perception is the visual ability to perceive the world in three dimensions. It is a trait common to many higher animals. Depth perception allows the beholder to accurately measure the distance to an object. Depth perception is important to people in everyday life because when you drive, depth is used in order to measure the distance of an approaching car. Another reason for the importance of depth perception is when one calls out to a friend walking down the street, one will determine how loudly to call depending on how far away the friend is perceived to be. If we as humans and animals did not have the ability of depth perception the world would not be as it is today, it would be much more dysfunctional, for instance car crashes would be frequent and talking louder than necessary.1
There is no depth in the eye, therefore it must construct in the brain. The brain is capable
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Cognitive Psychology (view all)
- Critically review the research and theories in one area of e...
- What is intelligence and how is it measured?
- What are the advantages and limitations of a cognitive neuro...
- A comparison of working memory capacity and reasoning abilit...
- Evaluate Baddeley's theory of the Phonological Loop.
- Explore the different psychological perspectives and their r...
- Interference with Memory by a Suffix. Review of literature ...
- What is classical conditioning and how is it relevant to pho...
- Describe and evaluate the Gestalt laws of perceptual organiz...
- Hypochondriasis: Treatment with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy...
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.