- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
'Generalising the black clothing stereotype'
The first 200 words of this essay...
Title 'Generalising the black clothing stereotype'
The black clothing stereotype suggests an association between black clothing and aggressiveness and deceit. The present study was devised to investigate whether this stereotype was applicable to areas more subtle than aggression. A counselling scenario was devised and the colour of the counsellors clothing was manipulated. It was hypothesized that the counsellor in black clothing would be regarded more negatively than the counsellor in light clothing. The study employed an Independent groups design, which included 50 participants. 25 participants were assigned to each condition. The results proved to be not significant. Therefore the hypothesis was rejected. The results demonstrated that the black stereotype has a limited generality.
Within psychology, the impact of stereotypes has been extensively addressed (Boon, 1988; Brown, 1995; Fiske and Neuberg, 1990, as cited in Psychology, Crime & Law). These include gender stereotypes (Eagly, 1994; Eagly and Stephen, 1986, as cited in Psychology, Crime & Law), physical attractiveness stereotypes (Eagly et al., 1991, as cited in Psychology, Crime & Law), racial stereotypes (Brown, 1995, as cited in Psychology, Crime and Law), as well as stereotypes of the elderly (Snyder & Peter, 1994, as cited
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Psychometrics (view all)
- An investigation to see the effect of chunking on short term...
- Compare and contrast qualitative and quantitative approaches...
- Advantages and Disadvantages of research methods.
- Psychology experiment I am investigating Chunking and the ef...
- Do leading questions have an effect on eye witness testimony...
- Fundamentals of Research Methodology. This paper will cover...
- Introduction to Research. The Scientific Method. We will a...
- The relationship between extraversion and introversion arous...
- Theories of Personality. Hans Eysenck: The Factor Theory
- This study will only look at two (of many) facial characteri...
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.