- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
is sportsmanship possible in professional sports? In this essay I will be looking at the influence in which professional sport has had on sport itself and how people perceive sport.
- Essay length: 3943 words
- Submitted: 17/02/2012
The first 200 words of this essay...
Is sportsmanship possible in professional sport?
In this essay I will be looking at the influence in which professional sport has had on sport itself and how people perceive sport. The objective of this essay will be to define some key terms such as ethics, professional, sportsmanship and gamesmanship. I will elaborate on those points looking to provide a link to theories such as sociological and deviance and beliefs which I will then look to relate them to sport using a sporting example.
Ethics is a term that will be repeatedly used throughout this essay; Ethics has been defined in various ways by drawing on the principle of good and evil and what is right and what is wrong. This idea of what makes actions right and wrong are known as normative ethics. However over time normative ethics have become too complex to place people's actions solely under the rightness and wrongness virtue. Consequently the study of normative ethics began to decline in the 20th century and were replaced by the evolution of modern day theories; consequentialism, deontology, virtue and discourse ethics (Gardiner, 2005). Consequentialism refers to a morally right action that produces a positive consequence
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sports Science (view all)
- Nutritional analysis case study
- An evaluation of a coaching session with referencing to coac...
- A book review of Cliffhanger. Title: Cliffhanger Author: Ja...
- Sports participation is directly affected by social exclusio...
- Oxygen Deficit and EPOC consumption during steady state exer...
- Discuss the consequences for learners of a coach or teacher ...
- Cold Tolerance, Acclimation and Acclimatization and Relevanc...
- Research Proposal - how diet and dietary supplements affect ...
- Explain how using psychological strategies (such as goal set...
- Mechanisms of PETCO2 and O2 changes during exercise.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.