- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Isolation & Characterisation of Proteins. The purpose of conducting this experiment is to study protein separation using two different methods, which are the SDS-polyacrylamide gel and ion exchange chromatography
- Essay length: 4085 words
- Submitted: 19/05/2012
The first 200 words of this essay...
Name: Ng Yen Pheng
Student ID: 22353046
Day and date: Tuesday, 3 April 2012
Title: Isolation & Characterisation of Proteins
The purpose of conducting this experiment is to study protein separation using two different methods, which are the SDS-polyacrylamide gel and ion exchange chromatography. This practical also aims to study what types of ion exchangers which are more suitable to separate different types of proteins. This experiment also aims to compare the separation of proteins by SDS-PAGE and ion exchange chromatography.
Part A: SDS-PAGE
Figure 1: Image of SDS-Polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis.
Table 1: Distance migrated (cm) by different length of protein fragments denatured by SDS
Molecular Weight, MW (kDa)
Distance migrated (mm)
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Applied Biology (view all)
- The functional part of the kidney are called the Nephrons, i...
- Blood Clotting & Problems
- EFFECT OF Light wave Length on Photosynthisis
- Characterize of organic macromolecules, which are carbohydra...
- OBJECTIVES: To determine the fragility of the erythrocyte me...
- How do the physical properties of the ears help the brain de...
- What Limits if any should be placed on the use of the follow...
- Broccoli is often termed as a miracle food as its' health be...
- Food Science -Experiments to Determine the Properties and Us...
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo