- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Lab report: food dehydration. This experiment focuses on the follow four questions: 1, to calculate the moisture contents on the dry basis of carrot and potato samples; 2, to assess the possible influence of pre-dehydration such as blanching on the qua
- Essay length: 3105 words
- Submitted: 17/03/2012
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Biology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Lab report: food dehydration
In food preservation, dehydration is a common used approach. It is one of the oldest but also a simple and safe way to preserve food. It is process to remove moisture or water away from food. In a low moisture environment, yeast, bacteria and mold cannot grow (Andress and Harrison, 2006). Therefore, dehydration is helpful to minimize the growth of microorganism that is a major reason of food deterioration. At the meantime, drying also reduces the activity of enzymes that cause degradation of some nutrients. For fruit and vegetables that contain high level of water, they can go bad easily if inappropriate storage approach is applied. It was estimated 25-30% of total fruits and vegetable produced is wasted due to spoilage (Ramaswamy and Marcotte, 2006). Furthermore, dehydrated food is usually smaller and lighter and thus is convenient to transfer or store.
There are several ways to achieve dehydration in industrial production, such as heat, dry air, air movement, in the sun, in the oven and using a food dehydrator (Ramaswamy and Marcotte, 2006). For some kinds of food, pretreatment such as blanching is required. Blanching which is
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Applied Biology (view all)
- SDS-PAGE and Western Blotting Lab report (extensive methods ...
- Comparing and and contrasting the endocrine system with the ...
- This experiment was carried out to separate and characterize...
- Isolation and Purification of Egg White Proteins
- Superbugs the rise and fall of hospital acquired infections
- OBJECTIVES: To determine the fragility of the erythrocyte me...
- How do the physical properties of the ears help the brain de...
- What Limits if any should be placed on the use of the follow...
- Broccoli is often termed as a miracle food as its' health be...
- Food Science -Experiments to Determine the Properties and Us...
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.