- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
- Essay length: 3297 words
- Submitted: 20/04/2011
The first 200 words of this essay...
The first part of the practical involved streaking cultures using different strains of Bacillus subtilis which were then incubated at 37°C. Spore germination was also observed in three strains of B. subtilis by patching them out on agar and incubating at 37°C. Also, two strains of B. subtilis, cultured overnight, were tested for heat resistant spores by conducting serial dilutions of both. Finally an overnight culture of B. subtilis was tested for sensitivity to various chemotherapeutic agents by conducting an agar disc diffusion test and incubating for a week at 37°C.
The second part involved analysis of human flora in which samples were taken from the nose and throat and cultured on Vogel-Johnson and blood agar respectively and then incubated at 37°C for a week. The two plate cultures of B. subtilis streaked previously were observed for isolated colonies. The three strains of B. subtilis incubated previously were tested for proper spore germination. Also the viable count was determined for the serially diluted cultures of B. subtilis and the inhibitory zones around each of the antibiotic discs from the previous session were measured.
In the third part, the nose and throat cultures were examined for their
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Microbiology (view all)
- Microscope observation of animal and plant cells
- Identifying microorganisms using differential staining techn...
- Use of selective and differential media to identify bacteria
- Describe the Concept and Discuss the Importance of Homeostas...
- Compare & Contrast the recognition of Antigens by B &...
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.