- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
"Only a critical political economy approach can adequately explain how the media work today". Discuss the pros and cons of this statement, with reference to the following sector of modern media: Advertising.
The first 200 words of this essay...
MEDIA STUDIES COM 1010
Major Essay. Value: 30%, length: 1750 words.
* Student number: 18904068
* Tutor: Dr. Linda Venter
* Due date: 9th May 2003
"Only a critical political economy approach can adequately explain how the media work today".
Discuss the pros and cons of this statement, with reference to the following sector of modern media: Advertising.
To be able to discuss the pros and cons of the statement, one must first find out exactly what the statement is declaring. It suggests that the media can only be analyzed from a critical political economy perspective. Though the statement holds a lot of weight, it is only fair to consider exactly what the statement argues. For this essay the advertising sector of media shall be taken into consideration, as we uncover the truth behind the advertiser consumer connection.
Critical Political Economy
Taken from Marxist studies concerning the relations between labor and capital, 'political economy' focuses on the structures in media that possess political and economic control. The Marxist political economy believes that in the mass media there is a definite trend to avoid
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Psychology (view all)
- Explain the importance of team building, the stages in the d...
- A Critical Appraisal of the Concept of Medicalization for Un...
- Critically evaluate trait theories of personality.
- Prejudice, stereotyping and discrimination/oppression
- Is Psychology A Science
- Psychological Identity Theory
- In The Future of Love by Barbara Graham, she cites a variety...
- The Behavioural Activation System: lateralization of the BAS...
- Emotions and facial processing of emotions
- Are humans naturally aggressive or do we learn to be aggress...
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student