- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
Biology 101-Section 700
February 10, 2009. Lab Report#1
Organic molecules are essential to life and are found in living organisms. The four basic types of molecules are carbohydrates, lipids, proteins and nucleic acids which can be found in the foods that we consume. (SYMBIOSIS p19) Each of these molecules and compounds has a different purpose. (McDarby) In fact everything that humans consume are a mixture of these molecules and also inorganic molecules. In consuming these organic molecules, we are able to survive, mature and reproduce.
Organic molecules are more often made up of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen atoms. However, sometimes other atoms can be found within these compounds such as nitrogen, phosphorus and sulfur. These carbon atoms bond to other atoms through covalent bonds and can be either single, double or triple bonds. This depends on whether there are one, two or three pairs of electrons shared within the atoms. (SYMBIOSIS p19)
The molecules of these four compounds are made up of monomers, which are small building blocks. For example, carbohydrates are often constructed of monomer units of sugar (typically glucose), but the monomer
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Applied Biology (view all)
- Isolation and Purification of Egg White Proteins
- Lab report: food dehydration. This experiment focuses on th...
- The functional part of the kidney are called the Nephrons, i...
- Optimization of DNA Extraction from Medically and Environmen...
- Synthesis and Analysis of an Iron Compound
- OBJECTIVES: To determine the fragility of the erythrocyte me...
- How do the physical properties of the ears help the brain de...
- What Limits if any should be placed on the use of the follow...
- Broccoli is often termed as a miracle food as its' health be...
- Food Science -Experiments to Determine the Properties and Us...
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.