- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Research examining personality, gender and culture has shown that links between these concepts are complex. To what extent does psychological evidence suggest that personality trait structure is universal
- Essay length: 3912 words
- Submitted: 29/04/2012
The first 200 words of this essay...
Research examining personality, gender and culture has shown that links between these concepts are complex. To what extent does psychological evidence suggest that personality trait structure is universal?
Personality is composed of "the individual's characteristic patterns of thoughts, emotions and behaviors" (Funder, 2004) that reflect the individual differences and similarities and remains fairly consistent throughout life(Costa, McCrae& Arenberg ,1980; Helson &Wink,1993), study in personality (i.e. Personality psychology) is constantly updated and improved for understanding and predicting human's behaviours and actions. With the development of personality study, the personality theories has develop from the early psychoanalytic theory which is mainly emphasizing in the effect of the unconscious on personality to the now on that behaviorism and social learning theories, biological and evolutionary theories, type theories and traits theories.
And the traits theories are the block of the personality trait structure including many trait approach, single trait approach and essential trait approach. Currently, a number of trait psychologists believed that personality traits structure was well represented by the 5 Big Traits known as "Big Five"model (Goldberg, 1993; Costa & McCrae, 1985).In this case, traits were defined as inherited and distinguishing characteristics (Costa & McCrae,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Psychometrics (view all)
- Investigation to Determine the Current Level of Conformity a...
- Compare and contrast qualitative and quantitative approaches...
- Advantages and Disadvantages of research methods.
- Psychoanalytic and Trait Approaches to Personality ...
- Ethical issues in Psychology.
- Fundamentals of Research Methodology. This paper will cover...
- Introduction to Research. The Scientific Method. We will a...
- The relationship between extraversion and introversion arous...
- Theories of Personality. Hans Eysenck: The Factor Theory
- This study will only look at two (of many) facial characteri...
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.