- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
X-rays are typically used in the field of scientific research, industry, and medicine. They have become a crucial tool in medical imaging
The first 200 words of this essay...
Why are X-rays dangerous?
X-rays are electromagnetic radiation ranging in wavelength from about 100 A to 0.01 A. The shorter the wavelength of the x-ray, the greater its energy and its penetrating power. X-rays are typically used in the field of scientific research, industry, and medicine. They have become a crucial tool in medical imaging because they allow doctors to see inside the body without the use of invasive procedures. Although they can be quite beneficial, they can also be dangerous because as with any other source of radiation, its key component with regards to health risks is exposure. Because of lead aprons that patients wear, there is not too much exposure to radiation at once; however, with the increased number of x-rays performed is an increased exposure to radiation and can therefore lead to potential dangers to a patient's health.
It has been said that x-rays should only be performed when absolutely necessary because it can cause an increased exposure to radiation and therefore lead to cancer. Shu et al. (2002) and Grufferman et al. (2009) discovered that in utero and postnatal exposure to x-rays can lead to childhood leukemia but only with increased exposures
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Applied Biology (view all)
- SDS-PAGE and Western Blotting Lab report (extensive methods ...
- Functionality of Cardiac and Skeletal Muscles
- Tumour markers and their role in Cancer diagnostics
- Lab report: food dehydration. This experiment focuses on th...
- Isolation and Purification of Egg White Proteins
- OBJECTIVES: To determine the fragility of the erythrocyte me...
- How do the physical properties of the ears help the brain de...
- What Limits if any should be placed on the use of the follow...
- Broccoli is often termed as a miracle food as its' health be...
- Food Science -Experiments to Determine the Properties and Us...
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.