- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Describe a Production Possibility Curve, and its importance. Consider points on the PPC and inside the PPC to illustrate opportunity cost.
The first 200 words of this essay...
(a) Describe a Production Possibility Curve, and its importance. Consider points on the PPC and inside the PPC to illustrate opportunity cost.
Production Possibility Curve is a curve illustrating all maximum output possibilities of two or more goods given a set of inputs. The PPF assumes that all inputs are used efficiently.
As indicated on the exhibit 1.1, points A, B, C and D represent the points at which production of grains and wines is most efficient. Point X demonstrates the point at which resources are not being used efficiently in the production of both goods and point Y demonstrates an output that is not attainable with the given inputs
The shape of this production possibility frontier also represents the concept of opportunity cost. Choosing more output of good X usually means giving up output of good Y. For instance, if the curve moves from point A to point B, the opportunity cost of 9,000 tons of grains is a reduction in output of 3,000 tons of wines.
As more of one product is produced increasingly larger amounts of other product must be given up. If a change in demand from
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Finance (view all)
- financial modelling
- Evaluate the relevance and the effectiveness of the 'Balance...
- Business plan for startup business.
- Explain the purpose of Accounting Standards and outline the ...
- The NPV rule is the best investment appraisal method." ...
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.