- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
European Corporate Governance Models
- Essay length: 5641 words
- Submitted: 20/02/2006
The first 200 words of this essay...
EC Company Law Coursework 2, Q. 1 - European Corporate Governance Models
Since mid-1980s corporate governance has attracted attention world-wide. From board of directors' composition and operation to relationship between shareholders, managers and directors, it has evolved into holistic company control system amidst global competition, weighing all stakeholders' interests1.
Each country's corporate governance model is characterised by distinctive legal, cultural and other contexts, but broadly comparable countries can form corporate governance systems. Anglo-American outsider system favours shareholder value maximisation in influential capital market, while continental European insider system, German and Dutch models, favours broader stakeholder approach in socially-orientated market economy2. This work shall consider following corporate governance areas: capital markets' financial role, ownership and control, shareholder rights and financiers' protection, external market for corporate control and anti-takeover defences, board system, disclosure rules and accounting standards, company's role and accountability.
Capital markets' financial role - market capitalisation ratio in 1975-2000 has grown in all continental countries3, catching up with UK on equity raised through IPOs4 in 1998-19995. Germany progressed less than UK in IPOs; British companies attracted far more outside finance in 1990s, though both countries had similar average growth, German companies experiencing
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Management Studies (view all)
- Leadership Theories - this review seeks to determine which t...
- General Management - organisation, leadership and theories.
- Research Proposal - Awareness of Going Green among MMU stude...
- Green Logistics
- How relevant are Fayol's ideas on managing groups and indivi...
- Case Study of Orenton Luxury Goods entry into the Chinese ma...
- Shareholder (liberal market) vs stakeholder (cooperative mar...
- SkandiaBanken Case Study: 1. Analyse SkandiaBanken using the...
- Business Strategy and Economical analysis of Danone
- Report on Bata in India
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.