- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
European Corporate Governance Models
- Essay length: 5641 words
- Submitted: 20/02/2006
The first 200 words of this essay...
EC Company Law Coursework 2, Q. 1 - European Corporate Governance Models
Since mid-1980s corporate governance has attracted attention world-wide. From board of directors' composition and operation to relationship between shareholders, managers and directors, it has evolved into holistic company control system amidst global competition, weighing all stakeholders' interests1.
Each country's corporate governance model is characterised by distinctive legal, cultural and other contexts, but broadly comparable countries can form corporate governance systems. Anglo-American outsider system favours shareholder value maximisation in influential capital market, while continental European insider system, German and Dutch models, favours broader stakeholder approach in socially-orientated market economy2. This work shall consider following corporate governance areas: capital markets' financial role, ownership and control, shareholder rights and financiers' protection, external market for corporate control and anti-takeover defences, board system, disclosure rules and accounting standards, company's role and accountability.
Capital markets' financial role - market capitalisation ratio in 1975-2000 has grown in all continental countries3, catching up with UK on equity raised through IPOs4 in 1998-19995. Germany progressed less than UK in IPOs; British companies attracted far more outside finance in 1990s, though both countries had similar average growth, German companies
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Management Studies (view all)
- Leadership Theories - this review seeks to determine which t...
- Innovation For Business Success. It is possible to be innov...
- Managing financial resources and decision assignment
- Research Proposal - Research Problem: The problem is to anal...
- Change Management
- Lenovo Purchasing and Supply report
- What is Entrepreneurship & how do entrepreneurs identify...
- Financial And Other Problems Faced By Cyclermate Bicycle Man...
- News article critique - Cows are stressed and produce less m...
- Managing Strategic Change (MBA work ). In this report ,I w...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.