Explain the duties relating to health and safety in the workplace
Extracts from this essay...
Law for Business Summative Assessment A B Ritchie Explain the duties relating to health and safety in the workplace Under the Employers Liability (Compulsory Insurance ) Act 1969, every employer carrying on a business must maintain an approved policy with authorised insurers covering any bodily injury or disease of employees which might arise out of or in the course of their employment The principle Act governing Health & Safety in the workplace is The Health and Safety At Work Act 1974 which provides for a safe place at work governing all Employers, Employees, Contract Workers, Visitors and Maintenance Contracts. The enforcing body is The Health & Safety Executive, Whose officers have wide ranging powers. Officers may serve improvement or prohibitive notices which have far reaching consequences upon the offending organisation Breaching Health & Safety Law can be both a criminal and civil offence and upon summary conviction substantial fines may be payable and under certain circumstances Imprisonment The general statutory duties of the HSAW act The Act imposes general duties on a number of different persons or categories of person. Duties are imposed on ; employers, manufacturers, designers, suppliers, the self employed, controllers of premises and employees.
states that it shall be the duty of every employer to consult any safety representatives appointed by recognised trade unions Section 2(7) states that if requested by the safety representatives, the employer has a duty to establish a safety committee Section 9 forbids employers to levy any charge on employees in respect of anything done or provided in pursuance of any specified requirement under the statutory provisions General duties owed by employers and the self-employed to non-employees Section 3(1) states that every employer is under a duty to conduct his business in such a way so far as is reasonably practicable that non-employees are not exposed to risks to their health and safety (this will include the general public, sub-contractors, visitors and even students on the college campus Section 3(2) imposes a similar duty on self-employed persons in respect of them-selves and other non- employees In Regina v Swan Hunter Shipbuilders Ltd (1981) the employers distributed a booklet to their employees giving practical safety rules for the use of oxygen equipment, in particular warning of the dangers of oxygen in confined spaces. The booklet was not given to the employees of their sub-contractor, except on request.
* Young Persons at Work Regulations 1994 * Disabilities Discrimination Act 1995 * Health & Safety ( Consultation with Employees) Regulations 1996 Legal Responsibilities in the workplace ENVIRONMENTAL ARRANGEMENTS DOCUMENTATION Air Conditioning/Heating Temperature Humidity Velocity Fire Safety Training and Arrangements Health & Safety Policy Statement Lighting Lux Output Diffusion Electricity Portable Appliance Testing Mains Electricity Testing General Risk Assessment Office Equipment Ozone First Aid Arrangement and Documentation Building Management Method of Work Statement Permit to Work Welfare Facilities W C's Washrooms Manual Handling Training Instruction and Information Fire Risk Assessment Kitchen Food Hygiene Good Practice Signage Legal Requirements Display Screen Equipment Risk Assessment Training & Instruction Security Equipment Premises & Staff Manual Handling Risk Assessment C. O. S. H. H. Risk Assessment Explain why Health and Safety has been heavily influenced by European legislation The statutory instruments known as the "six pack" came into force in Britain in 1992. These safety regulations implemented key European directives on workplace health and safety The regulations are: * The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 * Safe Use of Work Equipment, Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (1998) * Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992 * Workplace(Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 * Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations * The Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
- Over 180,000 student essays
- Every subject and level covered
- Thousands of essays marked by teachers