- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
INTERNATIONAL CORPORATE FINANCE The subject matter of this paper is to discuss the costs and benefits of cross-border takeover merger and acquisition (M&A).
The first 200 words of this essay...
INTERNATIONAL CORPORATE FINANCE
MERGER & ACQUISITION
The subject matter of this paper is to discuss the costs and benefits of cross-border takeover merger and acquisition (M&A). But first some definitions.
An acquisition is where the acquirer subsumes the target company, thus becoming one legal entity. On the other hand, a merger, extinguishes the identity of both participants, creating a new company. Cross-border M&A is the international dimension of this.
The main theory of merger and acquisition is synergy, that is, one and one makes three. Through synergy, managers create greater value with the integration of two companies, rather than that of their individual parts.
Costs and Benefits
In a study conducted by Francis Breedon and Francesca Fornasari, 2000, (FX impact of cross-border merger ) they found that the value of the target firm appreciated by 1%, while there was a relative deterioration of the acquirer's value. More specifically, the report found that, in the period immediately after the deal is announced, there is generally a strong upward movement in the target corporation's domestic value (relative to the acquirer's currency). Fifty days after the announcement,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Finance (view all)
- This report will detail how the Ford VEP plan added value by...
- Active Gear Inc. (AGI) is contemplating an acquisition of Me...
- Stakeholder identification: A Critical Analysis of Selected ...
- Airplane industry analysis. This report will consider the c...
- Corporate Restructuring of British Telecom
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.