- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
Logistics is the designing and managing of a system in order to control the flow of material throughout a corporation. This is a very important part of an international company because of geographical barriers. Logistics of an international company includes movement of raw materials, coordinating flows into and out of different countries, choices of transportation, cost of the transportation, packaging the product for shipment, storing the product, and managing the entire process.
The concept of logistics is fairly new in the business world. The theoretical development was not used until 1966. Since then, many business practices have evolved and logistics currently costs between 10 and 25 percent of the total cost of an international purchase. There are two main phases that are important in the movement of materials: material management and physical distribution;
- Materials management is the timely movement of raw materials, parts, and supplies.
- The physical distribution is the movement of the firm's finished products to the customers.
Both phases involve every stage of the process including storage. The ultimate goal of logistics is:
"To coordinate all efforts of the company to maintain a cost effective flow of goods."
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Marketing (view all)
- Does OPEC have a monopoly in the supply of oil?
- MARKETING STRATEGY
- Chapter Notes on Marketing Management by Philip Kotler 10th ...
- P1: A description of Cadbury's and their aims and objectives
- Marketing plan of Nestle (Malaysia) Berhad
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Zoey. University Student.