- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Is performance management merely a means for control
The first 200 words of this essay...
Managing and Organising
Critically illustrate how empirical research can aid the management of change
While there a vast amount of literature of the importance of change and suggesting ways to approach it, there is very little empirical evidence to support the different theories (Guimaraes and Armstrong, 1998). In this assignment the research of a number of key authors will be reviewed in order to establish the usefulness of the information in understanding the management of change. Three key areas will be critically analysed; Culture and Commitment, Leadership and Downsizing. The objective is to illustrate whether empirical research can aid the management of change or not.
Change Management has been defined as "the process of continually renewing an organisation's direction, structure and capabilities to serve the ever-changing needs of external and internal customers" (Moran and Brightman, 2001:111). The need for change is often unpredictable and so it tends to be reactive and often triggered by a situation of organisational crisis (Burnes, 2004). Balogun and Hope Haileys (2004) report a failure rate of 70% of all change programmes initiated; this suggests that the theory written on change management does not help the management when implementing a change initiative.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Management Studies (view all)
- Leadership Theories - this review seeks to determine which t...
- General Management - organisation, leadership and theories.
- Green Logistics
- Change Management
- Research Proposal - Awareness of Going Green among MMU stude...
- Case Study of Orenton Luxury Goods entry into the Chinese ma...
- Shareholder (liberal market) vs stakeholder (cooperative mar...
- SkandiaBanken Case Study: 1. Analyse SkandiaBanken using the...
- Business Strategy and Economical analysis of Danone
- Report on Bata in India
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.