- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Show and explain why risk averse individuals will generally refuse actuarially fair bets and purchase insurance that allows them to avoid participating in fair bets.
The first 200 words of this essay...
(i). Show and explain why risk averse individuals will generally refuse actuarially fair bets and purchase insurance that allows them to avoid participating in fair bets.
(ii). Discuss some of the problems that have beset the von Neumann-Morgenstern model of choice under uncertainty.
There are three possible attitudes to risk: risk averse, risk neutral and risk loving. Each of these attitudes to the outcome of an uncertain activity are different. If an individual is risk averse then he will only accept a gamble if the expected monetary value (EMV) of said gamble is greater than the certain monetary equivalent (CME). In other words if this individual was given the choice of a certain amount of money guaranteed and a risky game that would yield the same expected return, this individual would choose the guaranteed sum of money (or CME), since he prefers to avoid risk. It follows that a risk neutral individual is indifferent between such a gamble and a guaranteed amount of money, if CME equals EMV, and a risk lover requires CME to be greater than EMV not to accept the gamble.
If indifference curves are drawn for these
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Microeconomics (view all)
- Production planning and control, plant location and layout.
- Why is consumer protection needed?
- Factors affecting price elasticity of demand.
- Define and explain the criteria for a "Pareto Optimum&q...
- The point of this essay is to clarify and point up the diffe...
- Perfect competition versus Monopolistic competition
- Evaluation of an article written by Natasa Evripidou for the...
- Modigliani, along with his co-worker, Merton Miller, propose...
- Managerial Economics - the decision of firms to make or buy ...
- Carefully describe, also through a numerical example, how co...
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.