- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Strategic Management at Ikea
The first 200 words of this essay...
With the determination of one young man who believed he could serve a purpose in society by bringing style, value and a better life to the white-collar, Ikea was created. Since Ingvar Kamprad launched Ikea in 1943, an empire providing affordable design home furnishing has flourished. Through differentiating itself in its value chain by transferring delivery and assembly to the customer, Ikea's stores doubled as warehouses where the furniture is shipped in flat-packed boxes. Customers shop among the display model and pick up the box for the furniture to be assembled at home. These activities considerably reduce costs, savings that are passed on to the customers, offering prices low enough to fit most budgets, as well as giving the company a higher margin. As these value-chain activities distinguish Ikea from its competitors, it has become its competitive advantage because no one can reproduce them without significant trade-offs.
In the past 6 to 8 years, IKEA has gone through another major development stage as it chose to expand further its already leading position in the furnishing industry. In fact, Ikea has been working on a global expansion strategy since it was first established in the 1940s. Since its vision was
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Management Studies (view all)
- Leadership Theories - this review seeks to determine which t...
- Change Management
- General Management - organisation, leadership and theories.
- Project Management - three tools or methods that are used wi...
- The Importance of Business Organisation and Structure.
- Case Study of Orenton Luxury Goods entry into the Chinese ma...
- Shareholder (liberal market) vs stakeholder (cooperative mar...
- SkandiaBanken Case Study: 1. Analyse SkandiaBanken using the...
- Business Strategy and Economical analysis of Danone
- Report on Bata in India
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.