- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Summary of Case Study: the Honda - Yamaha War
- Essay length: 2944 words
- Submitted: 19/06/2006
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Marketing and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
SUMMARY OF CASE STUDY 3: THE HONDA-YAMAHA WAR (A)
In 1970s, when Honda began focusing on the automobile market, Yamaha saw an opportunity to attack and take territory in the motorcycle market. However, instead of doing an all out direct assault on Honda's motorcycle troops, Yamaha decided to launch its first attack, a sneak attack (quietly move). What Yamaha did was to increase quietly it's capacity and able to supply dealers with more products quicker than Honda. This tactic has been successful. By the end of 1981, Yamaha and Honda had nearly equal shares of the Japanese motorcycle landscape.
Throughout the period from 1970s to 1980s, Yamaha's profit compared favorably with Honda's i.e. Operating profits of about 7% to 10% of sales in the late 1960s and 3% of sales in the early 1980s. Yamaha was able to push into Honda's territory and capture market share by focusing all of its resources on motorcycles and related products.
However, bulk of Honda's profit been on its heavy investments in R & D for its young auto business where it spends about 5% in 1983. As for Yamaha, it only spent slightly more than 1% of sales on
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Marketing (view all)
- Branding. This dissertation aims to link the brand literatur...
- Concept of Product Life Cycle
- Using Porters' Five Forces theory, analyse the competitive e...
- What are the main differences between classical and operant ...
- Nike Supply Chain (NSC) Project.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo