- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The importants of benchmarking.
- Essay length: 5061 words
- Submitted: 20/06/2006
The first 200 words of this essay...
1.1 History of Benchmarking
G.H. Watson outlines the development of benchmarking in five phases1:
Phase 1 1950-1975 Reverse Engineering
Phase 2 1976-1986 Competitive Benchmarking
Phase 3 1982-1988 Process Benchmarking
Phase 4 1988+ Strategic Benchmarking
Phase 5 1993+ Global Benchmarking
Reverse engineering was tearing things apart, examining them, improving them, and putting them back together. Benchmarking really began in its modern form with the introduction of competitive benchmarking began with Rank Xerox, and its implementation of benchmarking in beginning around 1976. This was followed by process benchmarking which included looking for ideas outside of the direct competition. Strategic benchmarking involves fundamentally changing the business, not just the process. Global Benchmarking is the newest and involves comparing your organization on a global scale.
Benchmarking started out in the corporate sector. It was originally started when Xerox corporation realized it was losing a lot of money and market share to its Japanese competitors. Its competitors were able to sell photocopiers for the same price that it cost Xerox to make them. Benchmarking was started by Xerox's Manufacturing unit
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Marketing (view all)
- Does OPEC have a monopoly in the supply of oil?
- Critically evaluate the usefulness of the product life cycle...
- Using Porters' Five Forces theory, analyse the competitive e...
- Analysis and Development of Porter's Five Forces Model.
- Chapter Notes on Marketing Management by Philip Kotler 10th ...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.