- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Morality of Capital Punishment The issue of capital punishment is a hot topic in the United States today
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Morality of Capital Punishment
The issue of capital punishment is a hot topic in the United States today. The death penalty is so controversial because a great number of people differ on their opinions of whether it is wrong or right. Not only do people disagree about the righteousness of capital punishment, but many people have different arguments for why it is right or wrong. These complications make this topic a heavy one to analyze because it is highly controversial and so many people feel strongly about it.
The death penalty was declared to be cruel and unusual punishment by the Supreme Court in 1972. It was ruled unconstitutional and in violation of the Eighth and Fourteenth Amendments. However, in 1976 the Supreme Court reversed their decision deciding that the death penalty in fact, does not violate the Constitution and with new death penalty statutes put into place executions resumed in 1977. (Rachels, 231-232)
Capital punishment is an unfair, unjustified punishment and not an effective tool in deterring crime; therefore it is unethical and should be abolished.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Accounting (view all)
- An Analysis Of harmonization issues of accounting standards
- The primary purpose of this assignment is to develop a perso...
- Implementing BaselII: Impact on emerging economies
- Capital budgeting: advantages and limitations
- Economics and Strategic Research - Report: Whiz Calculator C...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student