- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The society we live in today is clearly highly consumptive.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Economics and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
The society we live in today is clearly highly consumptive. By this I mean we consume mass produced commodities in abundance. We drive cars, use microwaves, listen to CDs, wear GAP khakis, eat packaged foods, live in pre-fab houses, watch Sony TVs, burn fossil fuels, and brush our teeth with Colgate (tartar control). We buy to fulfil our needs: basic and not-so basic. We are a consumer society; we buy, use, and discard to survive. [Although survival is rarely the impetus behind consumer purchases.] We are immersed in a consumer culture which eschews a dependency and faith in the commodity market like no other; it's an entire way of life -- we even define ourselves in terms of consumption. ("How many have you got?") Indeed, consumption has become a cultural ideal. Stuart Ewen summed it up beautifully when he noted that, "the commodity system enjoys a kind of passively accepted legitimacy as the universal arena within which most human needs are to be met..."(p.187 Captains of Consciousness). The culture of consumption is now the prevalent cultural form.
It wasn't always like this. Before the days of mass production and ubiquitous industry, most people sustained themselves through farming, a
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Microeconomics (view all)
- Trends in the Secondary Sector - There are many type of manu...
- National income measure of welfare?
- Briefly outline some of the main models of oligopoly in whic...
- Discuss the factors that will be affecting the demand and su...
- Demand and Supply Analysis for Mars Bar
- Perfect competition versus Monopolistic competition
- Evaluation of an article written by Natasa Evripidou for the...
- Modigliani, along with his co-worker, Merton Miller, propose...
- Managerial Economics - the decision of firms to make or buy ...
- Carefully describe, also through a numerical example, how co...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.