- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
To what extent is leadership a socially constructed phenomena
The first 200 words of this essay...
To what extent is leadership a socially constructed phenomena?
'We cannot always attain the position to which we believe we are called: our relations in society have to some extent already begun to be established before we are in a position to determine them.' (Marx, 1835. cited in Reiss, E.1997, pp44)
At the turn of the 19th Century Machiavelli, in his works entitled 'The Prince' (1515), wrote what was to be the first significant literature on leadership. His study isolated leadership as a subject to be studied and a phenomena that can be manipulated. His work was unique as it placed leadership away from the realm of god and the anointed one, and into the hands of man (Barker, R. 2001). Within his writings, Machiavelli drew upon power through feudal law, and seemed to outline the basic ideas behind social hierarchy and the feudal paradigm. It has been suggested by Barker, R. (1997) that this feudal paradigm has emerged as the fundamental backbone of the modern industrial system, and thus the modern industrial paradigm is based upon 'an obsession with the persona of kings and conquerors traced back to the age of enlightenment' (Barker, R. 1997 pp346). Hence,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Management Studies (view all)
- Leadership Theories - this review seeks to determine which t...
- Change Management
- General Management - organisation, leadership and theories.
- Project Management - three tools or methods that are used wi...
- The Importance of Business Organisation and Structure.
- Case Study of Orenton Luxury Goods entry into the Chinese ma...
- Shareholder (liberal market) vs stakeholder (cooperative mar...
- SkandiaBanken Case Study: 1. Analyse SkandiaBanken using the...
- Business Strategy and Economical analysis of Danone
- Report on Bata in India
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.