- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Analysis of Haydn's Piano Sonata in E Flat, Hob XVI/49
The first 200 words of this essay...
Write a detailed harmonic and formal analysis of the development section from the first movement of Joseph Haydn's Piano Sonata in E Flat, Hob XVI/49, focusing on the interaction of motive, texture, scoring and harmony.
Sonata in E Flat major, Hob XVI/49, can be said to embody both the Viennese keyboard style and many of the musical ideas that Haydn gathered in the cosmopolitan capital of England. Written in 1789, it is one of his last piano sonatas and is quite representative of works composed in his late period. Most importantly, Haydn's mastery of the standard sonata form was unquestioned in this sonata and it provides a template by which to judge divergence and innovation. The development section in the first movement in this particular sonata begins at bar 65 and ends at beat 3 of bar 131. It serves as a contrasting and linking section that connects the exposition to the recapitulation though the transformation and juxtaposition of motives, with the harmony going through distant keys. This essay will attempt to analyse bar 65 to bar 131 of the first movement of Haydn's Piano Sonata in E Flat, Hob XVI/49 in three aspects, namely motives, harmony and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Music (view all)
- The MoThe erhu is a Chinese string instrument which possesse...
- Microphones - different types and their uses in performances...
- Analysis of Prokofiev Sonata No. 7
- "Mama -Just killed a Man" - Queen's Bohemian Rhaps...
- The Evolution of Dub Music.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""Zoey. University Student.